Blokhus sømærke

Visit the historical Blokhus

Photo: Anne Nøhr Ringgren

Blokhus is filled with historical traces that testifies its proud history as a former fishing village and a craft trading spot.

Why Blokhus?

With a high degree of probability, the name of the holiday village Blokhus goes back to the seventeenth century.

During that time, Blokhus went by the name Hune Hvarre.

The farmers in Hune cultivated some of the grounds and replenished with fishing. The produce was sailed in lighten boats – called sand boats – to Norway. Here they traded produce with logs.

During that time, one could not see or find a single tree in Blokhus and the surrounding areas, it was, therefore, very sought after to get one’s hand on Norwegian log.

Danish farmers needed a place to store produce that was waiting to be send to Norway. So, the farmers built a few houses made from the Norwegian log.

These store houses were called Blokhuse (Log houses), and, thus, Blokhus was given its name in the beginning of the seventeenth century.

 

    The tour around Blokhus’ historical tracks is based on the historical buildings and monuments, and, amongst other things, tells you about the Blokhus Seamark, which was designed to navigate sailors; Kancelligården (The chancellery estate), a former court house and customs control; and Hawet which used to be a prison.

    11 historical landmarks

    • 1. Blokhus Seamark
    • 2. Kancelligaarden (The chancellery estate)
    • 3. Hawet
    • 4. Mindestenen (The memorial stone)
    • 5. The bunker in Blokhus 
    • 6. The house of Niels Jensen
    • 7. Strandingskroen – Futten – Bingen
    • 8. The fish farmer’s home, 1785
    • 9. Thomas Olesen Løkken
    • 10. Lien in Pirupshvarre
    • 11. The wreck of “De tre Venner”, 1882